Technical Director, Federal Solutions, September, 2017 - Present
Boston, Massachusets (telecommuting)
Technical lead overseeing the evolution of a premier commercial machine-learning platform so that it can be used in the Federal intelligence and defense spaces.
Big Data Architect, Big Data Discovery Product, 2014 - May, 2017
- Identified compelling use cases and developed prototypes demonstrating the platform capabilities.
- Provided guidance to engineering to direct the efforts to deploy the software to secure environments and performed the debugging of on site issues in those environments.
- Established deployment procedures and wrote documentation and training materials for integrators and customers.
Oracle, Reston, Virginia (telecommuting)
Worked with the federal intelligence community to adapt Oracle's Big Data Discovery product to their unique needs.
Technical Director, National Security Group, 2012 - 2014
- Researched and implemented enhanced search and analysis capabilities to meet the customers' mission needs.
- Pioneered big data techniques for transforming and enriching wide varieties of semi-structured and unstructured data.
- Served as a liaison between the intelligence customers and the commercial product engineering teams.
Oracle, Reston, Virginia (telecommuting)
Responsible for the design and development of intelligence community specific technologies built on top of the Oracle Endeca technology stack.
Director of Engineering, Intelligence Solutions Group, 2011 - 2012
- Supported the deployment of a federated search technology that enabled real time search of over 4 billion records from over 90 disparate back end systems.
- Worked with sales engineers and on site consultants to support the use of commercial search technologies in the intelligence communities.
Endeca Technologies, Cambridge, Boston (telecommuting)
In charge of developing new technologies based on the core Endeca product line for addressing the unique needs of the federal government and intelligence agencies.
Owner, 2008- Present
- Personally designed and implemented the Endeca Aggregator which provide the ability to scale the search technology to massive scales.
- Developed the Big Data Forge product that vastly sped up data ingestion and indexing times by leveraging the power of MapReduce and other Hadoop centric technologies.
Sage Consulting, New Orleans, Louisiana
Independent consultant providing custom software architecture and development services to a variety of clients with a focus on the defense and insurance industries.
Senior Software Engineer, 2003 - 2008
- Developed application used by a major government agency to synchronize and validate private security keys.
- Designed and implemented a specialized product search capabilities for a large-scale business to business ecommerce web site utilizing the Endeca faceted search engine.
- Built a massive Hadoop based document analysis and information extraction platform for a government customer.
SAIC, Alexandria, Virginia (telecommuting)
Responsible for the research and development of technologies for distributed online collaboration and visualization and its application in the fields of intelligence gathering and threat assessment.
Senior Software Engineer, 2002 - Present
- Senior engineer responsible for the development of a human intelligence web application that was named JTCD of the Year
by the Pentagon in 2008.
- Participated in the development of a graphical Java application used by the US Army for monitoring the status of their global networks and assessing any potential threats and intrusions.
- Architected a robust data pipeline technology for processing of intelligence data feeds with extensive database, GIS, and XML capabilities. Produced an AJAX based web application for monitoring pipelines deployed via JMX.
ProQuest Information and Learning, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Responsible for the design, development, and implementation of the web services and middleware tiers for the next generation of the company's product architecture for its online information services. This was an XML driven J2EE architecture deployed on the JBoss application server platform.
Software Engineer, 2001 - 2002
- Designed a distributed services architecture that allowed functions such as user authentication, searching, and document retrieval to be seamlessly and independently scaled and evolved as performance and product needs changed. This architecture allowed for the integration of various new and legacy technologies with minimal impact on the client tier.
- Invented an XML handling library that allowed the architecture to transparently deal with multiple versions of XML request documents, thus providing support for a diverse array of application clients utilizing the business services.
MetrixPoint, Gaithersburg, Maryland (telecommuting)
Core member of a start-up company developing a new enterprise application architecture and its first product, an enterprise revenue-planning package. The architecture design work was documented in UML and the implementation was done completely in Java utilizing XML to drive the configuration and data exchanges. The back end of the architecture was supported by a custom associative database built on top of the Versant OODB engine.
Manager, Internet Technology Development Center, 2000 - 2001
- Designed and implemented the integration of the Java Expert System Shell (JESS) to serve as a business rule engine for the core architecture. This included developing an adapter to integrate the engine with the architecture's kernel as well as extending the rule engine's CLIPS language to natively support the manipulation of the associative database entities.
- Developed a notification service that provides support for multiple message transports. Implemented the delivery scheduling and failure handling as well as specific transports for e-mail and internal message delivery.
- Implemented a graphical tool to allow a user to quickly develop and test rule sets for deployment into the application architecture. Wrote automated unit tests for various key components of the architecture utilizing custom Java test harnesses and XML based scripts.
Arthur Andersen LLP, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Responsible for the technical architecture and development of web sites and their backend integration for a variety of clients.
Director of Product Development, 1999 - 2000
- Designed and led the implementation of a complex integration between Net.Commerce and several legacy backend systems for a large scale B2B and B2C multilingual web site.
Systems Coordinator, 1998 - 1999
Software Engineer, 1993 - 1998
Recognition Research Incorporated, Blacksburg, Virginia
Responsible for managing the development and enhancement of the company's core product, FormWorks, a modular high-volume document imaging platform. Served as architect and technical liaison to several key customers.
Co-Op Programmer/Analyst, 1989 - 1993
- Oversaw the design and development of the next generation of the core product line from the requirements phase to implementation. Managed a team of developers working with a wide variety of software technologies. This new product line enabled the company to become the industry leader in health care claims processing.
- Served as the technical architect of the imaging system for the Department of Education's Financial Aid Processing system that is responsible for processing over 8 million applications (32 million pages) each year with peak daily processing volumes of over 1.2 million pages. Responsibilities included: design and development of the imaging workflow software; capacity planning including determining networking and workstation hardware requirements; WAN configuration for over 7 remote data entry facilities; and developing operational procedures for the imaging facilities.
- Wrote a GUI-based management software for the company's core workflow product that was designated "Product of the Year (1996)" by Imaging Magazine.
Mobil Oil Corporation, Fairfax, Virginia
- Designed and implemented text parsing utilities in C to automate the import of knowledge into PC-based expert systems.. Developed a PC application security system to protect expert systems deployed on laptops as well as image indexing and retrieval software for use in a crisis management system.